Mold is a real problem in Florida. The Tampa Bay area frequently sees damp, humid, hot weather conditions annually. Our naturally tropical climate is amazing for beach days but is makes mold an issue many homeowners will deal with. The Comfort Authority has designed a tip sheet for our customers to explain how to best fight against mold.
- Mold is caused by humidity or moisture, most likely a leak somewhere. A roof leak, leaky plumbing, or drainage issues are usually to blame. The first step in mold treatment is to locate the issue and remove the humidity source.
- Areas in your home where a leak has previously occurred should be maintained regularly to prevent additional mold growing in the future.
- Regulating home humidity is a good second step once the leak has been found and fixed. We recommend a thermostat with a humidity sensor to always make sure your home is at the recommended humidity level.
- A final step is to vacuum the room with mold growth with a wet/dry vacuum verses a standard vacuum. A regular vacuum lacks the HEPA filter that a wet/dry vacuum uses; the filter will also grab mold spores and prevent the vacuum stirring up mold particles as you vacuum.
Additional items to help with mold:
- Use a dehumidifier in areas of your home where humidity control is a real challenge. Areas that stay more humid, like kitchens and laundry rooms where appliances emit heat, can benefit from decreased humidity.
- HEPA filters are excellent to prevent mold. These higher quality filters can even grab tiny particles including mold spores! Spending a bit extra for a premium filter will prevent future mold issues in your home.
The Comfort Authority is available 24/7 at (813) 696-5775 for all your HVAC needs and questions. Call us today and ask about our monthly specials!